You’ve been planning a trip to the outback for ages and are so looking forward to seeing one of the most spectacular and dramatic parts of Australia.
The outback can be the most beautiful and yet the most harshest of areas to travel through. Before you throw the swag and the esky in the back of the Landcruiser, you need to ensure your vehicle is ready to withstand everything the outback will throw at it.
Here, Roof Racks On The Run share some tips on how to gear up your 4WD vehicle so your journey will be a happy and a safe one.
• Test the UHF radio in the car works
• Ensure the car has had a recent mechanical service.
• Ensure tyres and the spare tyres are in good condition and inflated.
• Check the car jack works and has all the components to it.
• Check there is a tyre lever, tyre pressure gauge and ground plate on board.
• Check roof racks, baskets or luggage carriers for any damage or corrosion.
• Check the toolbox has essential basics including spanners, screwdrivers, pliers, snips, all-purpose tape, lubricating spray, Stanley knife, wire, hammer, shovel, straps or rope.
• Carry some spare fuel and spare parts for emergencies such as extra engine oil, brake fluid, water, fan belts, hoses, bulbs, fuses, rags, jumper leads.
• Pack spare non-perishable food, lots of water, blankets, long sleeved clothing, hats, sunscreen and a first aid kit.
By taking these simple precautions and undertaking these checks with your vehicle, it may prevent you from being stranded for an extended time in a remote part of the Outback.
As they always say, if you do break down, don’t panic and remain with your vehicle until help arrives.
If you are planning an outback adventure or even a camping trip and need your vehicle to have extra carrying capacity, whether that be roof racks, luggage carriers or roof bags, call Roof Racks On The Run.
We service the Gold Coast and Tweed areas and carry a large product range of heavy duty roof racks systems designed for Australian conditions.
Roof Racks On The Run have been in the roof rack business since 1988 so we are best able to offer guidance and advice on the best roof rack system for your vehicle.
Call our friendly team or simply complete the online request form.